Friday, January 8, 2016

Aqueous Solutions

Most Ionic Compounds will dissolve in water, and when they dissolve they disassociate into their respective cations and anions. The number of Ions that are in a Ionic Bind dictates how many Ions are disassociated, for example NaCl disassociates into two Ions but MgCl2 disassociates into three ions.
So before I start to explain a unit about something, I should probably go over the general thing, which in this case is Aqueous Solutions. An Aqueous Solution is a mixture that takes place in water, with the solute being dissolved into water, which is the solvent. Examples include Chlorine dissolving in a pool.

However Polar Substances will disassociate based on their attraction to water, while most insoluble materials are non-polar.

If a molecule contains -OH then the shorter the C-H chain is the more likely it is to dissolve in water 
Crash Course helped me understand this better HERE
Oh,and understanding polarity might help, so HERE
And a visual of Polar vs Nonpolar:


1 comment:

  1. Good pictures on this post, I think that there very helpful, particularly the second one. Wish we learned more about polarity.

    ReplyDelete