Wednesday, March 2, 2016

Electrons

So I post this realizing that I have said nothing about the fundamental part of this unit, the electron. Since this unit is over ELECTRONic structure it makes sense to know what I talking(typing) about. As you probably know the electron is part of an atom that provides a negative electric charge to the atom to counter the positive charge of the proton creating 'balance' in the electrical charge. However the important part is that electrons are the things that actually change when a bond happens, the electrons get shared between the atoms and connect them, this happens because atoms like to have complete orbitals. An orbital consists of two atoms, with opposite spin on each other that balance each other. Spin looks like this: and is important because of how electron behave magnetically shown HERE
As the period number goes up the more orbitals there are. Each period has a independent maximum number of orbitals, with the highest max consisting of all four orbital types, simply named SPDF or, Smart People Dropped First semester. On my previous blog post(shameless self advertising)HERE I linked a crash course video on electrons I recommend you watch it. I my next post I will go more in depth on orbitals and naming the individual ground state of an atom. Have a wonderful day.

No comments:

Post a Comment